History Of Education in Knockanure
The history of education in Knockanure goes back to the 1750s, when a hedge school was recorded in a field in Trien called “O’ Sullivan’s Meadow”. From 1824 a mud – walled, thatched school, attached to the old thatched chapel stood in the field between our present school and Flynn’s Bar.
In 1874, the old school, now the Community Centre, was built on Goulding’s land. This was a stone-walled, slated structure, a great improvement on the previous damp, muddy building. At this time boys and girls were educated separately and didn’t even mix at play time.
In 1966 these two schools were amalgamated, and our present school was opened. This school was a modern 1960’s style building with central heating, light filled rooms and lovely new tables and chairs to replace the old style wooden desks of former eras.
From 1972- 2010 Scoil Chorp Chríost was a two-teacher school. In 2010 we appointed a third classroom teacher. 2016 marked another milestone – we appointed a fourth classroom teacher. The current teaching staff is ;
Ms. Julienne Donegan - Principal
Ms. Breda Kiely – Deputy Principal
Ms. Noirín Buckley - Learning Support Teacher
Ms. Elvinia McDermott – Classroom Teacher
Ms. Philomena O’ Connor – Classroom Teacher
The last number of years have seen unprecedented change in our school. As well as having doubled in enrolment and teaching staff we also have a fine extension – and may need to extend again. We know that the school is the “Lifeblood” of this village. May it be so for the generations to come.
Ní Neart go Cur le Chéile